Renting vs. buying a temporary air conditioner: which is right for you? Having the right cooling equipment is essential to keep your employees safe and comfortable. It can also be necessary for your products and equipment to help control the temperature and humidity. When you need temporary or portable air conditioning, comparing the pros and cons of renting vs. buying the cooling equipment can help you make the best choice.
Renting a Temporary Air Conditioner
Renting portable AC units offers a flexible solution when you need to cool your facility. Herc Rentals offers a wide selection of units in different sizes to match your needs. You can rent the equipment for flexible lengths of time to suit your situation.
Pros of Renting.
Renting your cooling equipment offers these benefits:
- No maintenance: The rental company handles all the maintenance on temporary cooling equipment, which makes your life easier. You get well-maintained equipment without any added hassle.
- Controlled costs: Temporary cooling equipment can be expensive. Renting offers a more affordable option without the large up-front investment. You know how much it costs to rent and can budget for that ongoing expense while you need the equipment.
- Support: Renting your equipment means you always have someone to call if something isn’t working quite right. Herc Rentals offers unsurpassed customer service, so you never have to worry about your equipment.
- No long-term storage: If your cooling needs are temporary or seasonal, you don’t have to deal with long-term storage of the equipment. You can rent it for however long you need it, and then return it. When storage space is at a premium, this can be a major perk since some cooling units are quite large.
Cons of Renting
It’s also important to look at the possible drawbacks of renting temporary air conditioning. The potential cons include:
- No ownership: While the up-front costs of renting are much lower and more affordable, you don’t own the equipment. For many people, this isn’t a big deal, especially since ownership comes with the responsibility of maintaining the unit.
- Long-term costs: If you need the portable air conditioner for an extended period of time, you could end up paying a lot in rental fees. However, you get ongoing support and save on maintenance when you pay those fees. Plus, it’s also often easier to budget for an affordable monthly payment rather than the full, upfront cost of expensive equipment.
Buying a Temporary Air Conditioner
An alternative to renting climate control equipment is buying it. Having full ownership of the temporary air conditioner comes with some perks and disadvantages.
Pros of Buying
Reasons to consider buying your cooling equipment include:
- Ownership of the unit: Buying a temporary air conditioner means you own the equipment.
- Lower long-term costs: You could save money long-term if you buy the equipment. This is more likely if you need the equipment for an extended period. Comparing the costs, including the ongoing maintenance requirements, and estimating how often you’ll use the equipment can help you decide.
Ongoing use: If your space will require cooling frequently, you have easy access to the equipment whenever it’s needed. The unit can remain at your facility, so it’s always on
Cons of Buying
Buying a spot cooling unit also comes with some drawbacks. These include:
- Large up-front investment: Buying large commercial cooling units requires a substantial upfront investment. If you finance the purchase, you’re increasing your total investment even more.
- Maintenance: You’re responsible for all maintenance and upkeep on the equipment you own. This can be expensive and add to the workload of your maintenance team.
- Storage: If you’re using the equipment temporarily, you’ll need to store it when it’s not in use. Finding a storage spot for large equipment isn’t always easy.
- Responsibility for repairs and troubleshooting: Issues with the equipment are your problem to solve without the support team of a rental company to help you. This could result in expensive service calls and lots of downtime while you wait for the repair company.
In many cases, renting temporary air conditioning units makes more sense. It offers more flexibility, and you get support from the rental company. Herc Rentals can help you decide and walk you through the rental options to ensure you get the cooling you need to keep your business running smoothly.