How can a company that rents construction equipment from more than 350 branches across North America be a good environmental steward?
Let us count the ways …
1. Improving Water Efficiency – From installing faucet sensors and recycling wash bays that collect water and reuse it for washing equipment returning to the branch, Herc Rentals slashed its water intensity by 9% from 2020 to 2021. About 33% of Herc Rentals’ facilities now have recycled wash bay systems.
2. Increased LED Lighting Usage and Rental Offerings – Herc Rentals has increased its rental fleet of LED lighting over the past several years, leading to a reduction of emissions by our customers. Additionally, Herc Rentals continues to increase the number of its facilities that use LED lighting. From 2021 to 2022, the company has seen the number of its facilities use LED lighting grow by 133%. And that’s just the beginning, with the company committed to $3 million in upgrades between 2022 and 2023.
3. A Commitment to Use Solar Power – From solar-powered lighting to solar-powered traffic message boards, Herc Rentals continues to look for a new, silent, zero-emission fleet. The company has also negotiated fixed-rate utility sources in a few deregulated markets and requested higher renewable energy sources than previous providers. So far, the company has nine locations with roof-top solar and is evaluating programs to add more.
4. Reducing Emissions from Company Vehicles – Aside from the company’s commitment to using higher efficiency diesel and gas trucks for Ford F150s, and Chevrolet 1500s, and awaiting the arrival of pre-ordered EV trucks, the company also maintains its vehicles with a best-in-class service program. Through monitoring tire pressure, timely oil changes, and equipment checks that prevent oil/fuel leaks, the company has improved the effectiveness of its engines, resulting in better fuel efficiency.
5. Purchasing and Offering Energy-Efficient Rental Equipment – Whether it’s purchasing and renting LED or solar-powered light towers, EV vehicles, forklifts, excavators, and more, Herc Rentals continues to respond to customer demand. Additionally, rental equipment serves as part of a shared economy and is more sustainable in terms of life cycle and maintenance than customers purchasing their own equipment.
6. Committed to Three 2030 ESG Goals for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions, Landfilled Waste Intensity, and Continued Focus on Employee Safety – Both Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions and non-toxic landfill waste intensities were reduced by 12% and 7% from 2020 to 2021, respectively. Carbon emissions are being reduced through facility energy efficiency upgrades, assigned-vehicle fleet efficiency best-management practices, and upgrades. Waste is diverted from landfills by recycling and incineration disposal methods. For Safety, the Company set a goal to improve its Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) to maintain 0.49 or less by 2030.
7. Employee-Led Environmental Enhancements – Beyond the company’s day-to-day business activities, company employees have spearheaded a wide range of environmental volunteerism, including beach and highway clean-ups, tree plantings, and more. The company also kicked off a new contest that awards employees cash for the best new sustainability practices Herc Rentals can undertake.
8. Providing Employees with Leave Time to Participate in Volunteering Efforts – In early 2023, the company introduced volunteer paid time (VPT) off. The new policy was created to recognize the importance of community engagement while providing employees an opportunity to invest in their local area and have a meaningful and positive impact to help others in need. Examples of VPT include building a house for Habitat for Humanity, volunteering at a food bank, hospital, Boys/Girls club, and/or becoming a Big Brother/Big Sister.
In addition to being named by Newsweek as one of America’s Most Responsible companies in 2021 and 2022, EcoVadis, source for the world’s most trusted business sustainability ratings, awarded Herc Rentals a silver medal for its sustainability practices in 2022. EcoVadis assesses a company’s sustainability management system through its policies, actions, and results to earn medals. This assessment focuses on 21 sustainability criteria grouped into four themes: environment, labor and human rights, ethics, and sustainable procurement. To earn a silver medal, companies must have a score among the top 25%. In 2021, Herc Rentals was awarded the bronze medal for scoring among the top 50% of companies.
For more on Herc Rentals sustainability efforts, scroll to the bottom of this page and download its 2022 Corporate Citizenship Report.